1 Choose a topic for the Free Writing (e.g. ‘Everything I know about business Relationships.’)
2 Set a timer for a short amount of time
3 Write without stopping until you hear the timer
Free Writing rules
• Your pen or typing fingers don’t stop until the timer does.
• If your mind goes blank, write, ‘I don’t know what to say’ or ‘blank blank blank’ until you think of a new thought.
• Do not delete or cross any words out.
• Do not worry about spelling or punctuation.
• Write what you think. Don’t self-edit before you write, it will slow you down.
If you haven’t used this technique before, start with 1 or 2 minutes. Consistent non-stop writing is the goal. You can always do several timed activities in a row, but follow the rules.